Black Bean Brownies Recipe – Black beans are the surprisingly healthy ingredient in this recipe for chocolate brownies. And yes, they are GOOD!
Be sure to use good quality chocolate and you’ll never, ever be able to taste the beans.
Tip #1: To convert these measurements to metric, please refer to this online Cooking Converter
Tip #2: Be sure to use good quality chocolate. You could use 2/3 cups of chocolate chips, OR 3 1/2 ounces of bittersweet or semi-sweet dark chocolate that you have chopped.
Black Beans Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup of cooked black beans. Canned black beans are fine.
- 1 1/4 cups of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup of flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips. See tip number 2 above.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and drain the cooked beans. Spread them out over paper towelling and blot them. Dry to remove as much moisture as you can.
- Toast the pecan pieces by placing the in the oven (on a baking sheet) for a few minutes. Alternatively, brown them stove top using a non-stick skillet. If using a skillet, stir or shake constantly to avoid burning.
- While pecans are cooling, place the butter and unsweetened chocolate (the first amount of chocolate) in a saucepan. Melt together stove top over low heat.
- Whisk the melted butter and chocolate together, then remove from heat and cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- Using a food processor, process the beans and cooled chocolate mixture until everything is very smooth. You could use a blender if you do not have a food processor.
- Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Continue processing or mixing until well blended. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Fold it in, but do not over fold. You should still be able to see streaks of flour.
- Add the pecans and the chocolate chips. Just combine; do not over mix.
- Oil or spray and 8″ square pan. Pour the batter into this pan and smooth out the top surface.
- Place in heated oven and cook for approximately half an hour. Check a few minutes before the half hour to see if it is done.
- The black bean brownies are done when the top does not jiggle. However, if you insert a toothpick, it will come out covered with chocolate.
Cool these brownie squares in the pan or on a rack, and then get ready for a treat.
Return to Home Page with finished with Black Beans Brownie Recipe